In this School-Holidays.Info post, we will provide information about the school holidays in Ireland for 2022-2023. We will discuss the complex system of the Irish school year and explain the differences between holidays in primary and secondary schools. Additionally, we will provide the most accurate dates for these holidays. At the end of the article, we have listed the public holidays for the 2022-2023 school year in which Irish students have a day off.
You may also be interested in:
Beginning and End of the School Year in Irish Schools
In Irish schools, the beginning and end of the school year are determined by the administration. The main rules are defined by the circular on the Standardisation of the School Year for Primary and Post-Primary Schools for the years 2020/21, 2021/22, and 2022/23.
The school year starts on the week including September 1st. In 2022, this period is from August 26th to September 2nd. However, schools may deviate from the schedule by one week. This means that the first day of school will be between August 19th and September 9th.
In primary schools, the school year consists of at least 182 days, and in post-primary schools, it is no less than 167 instructional days. The number of non-instructional days varies depending on the decision made by the school administration. The date of the beginning of summer holidays may differ significantly.
Summer holidays in primary schools start between the end of May and the end of June. Summer holidays in post-primary schools will start between mid-May and mid-June.
School holidays in Ireland 2022-2023 during the school year
- October Mid-Term Break (autumn holidays) 2022: from October 31st to November 4th inclusive;
- Christmas Holidays: from December 22nd, 2022, to January 4th, 2023, inclusive;
- February break in primary schools: February 16-17 or February 13-17, as determined by the school administration;
- February break in secondary schools: February 13-15 or February 13-17, as determined by the school administration.
- Easter Holidays: from April 1-4 or April 1-16 inclusive, as determined by the school administration.
Schools may determine the dates of holidays throughout the academic year. If your school has determined the start of the holidays in advance, it can change the dates. This may cause changes to the end date of the academic year.
Other holidays for Irish schoolchildren
In addition to school holidays, schools in Ireland are closed on bank holidays (public holidays). Like in the UK, these are all public holidays and special days when banks are closed.
Days during the year when there are no classes in Irish schools:
- October 31, 2022 – October bank holiday;
- December 25, 2022 – Christmas;
- December 26, 2022 – Saint Stephen’s Day;
- January 1, 2023 – New Year;
- February 6, 2023 – Imbolc (Saint Brigid’s Day);
- March 17, 2023 – Saint Patrick’s Day;
- April 10, 2023 – Easter Monday;
- May 1, 2023 – May holiday;
- June 5 – June bank holiday.
In this post, we have provided information about the school holidays in Ireland for 2022-2023. You learned about their complex system, possible holiday dates, and holidays when Irish students take a break. We hope the article was helpful to you. Don’t forget to share it with your friends!”