In this publication, School-Holidays.Info will tell you about the holidays in France in 2022. We will give their dates officially confirmed by the French administration. You will also find out what and where additional holidays French citizens will celebrate.
Holidays in France 2022
The French Republic has 11 to 13 official public holidays. Their number depends on the district, territory, department and even municipality. These days most adults don’t work and schools are closed. The following are public holidays in France in 2022:
- New Year’s Eve – Saturday 1 January 2022;
- Easter Monday – Monday, April 18, 2022;
- Labor Day – Sunday 1 May 2022;
- Victory 1945 – Sunday, May 8, 2022;
- Ascension – Thursday, May 26, 2022;
- Trinity Monday – Monday, June 6, 2022;
- National Holiday – Thursday, July 14, 2022;
- Assumption of the Virgin Mary – Monday, August 15, 2022;
- Toussaint (All Saints Day) – Tuesday, November 1, 2022;
- Armistice of 1918 – Friday, November 11, 2022;
- Christmas – Sunday, December 25, 2022.
INTERESTING FACT: in many institutions, organizations and enterprises, employees work on holidays. By law, this day is paid at the usual rate, regardless of whether it is a day off for the employee or not. If a person works on a holiday, he can be paid a bonus if the administration wants it.
Holidays in Alsace-Moselle in 2022
Religion is taken more seriously in Alsace-Moselle than in the rest of France. This is enshrined in the Alsace-Moselle Concordat. Therefore, the holidays in the Alsace region and the Moselle department are somewhat different. For your convenience, here is a complete list:
- New Year: January 1, 2022;
- Good Friday (in municipalities with a Protestant temple or mixed church): April 15, 2022;
- Easter Monday: 18 April 2022;
- Labor Day: May 1, 2022;
- Victory in 1945: May 8, 2022;
- Ascension: May 26, 2022;
- Trinity Monday: June 6, 2022;
- National holiday: July 14, 2022;
- Assumption of the Virgin Mary: August 15, 2022;
- Toussaint (All Saints Day): November 1, 2022;
- Armistice of 1918: November 11, 2022;
- 1st day of Christmas: December 25, 2022;
- 2nd day of Christmas: December 26, 2022.
French Overseas Territories Special Holidays 2022
In addition to mainland France and Corsica, the country includes overseas territories. Previously, they were colonies and slavery flourished in them. Therefore, the inhabitants of each territory celebrate the day of the abolition of slavery. It’s an official holiday. Here is a list of them:
- Guadeloupe – May 27;
- Guiana – June 10;
- Martinique – May 22;
- Mayotte – April 27;
- Reunion – December 20;
- Saint Barthelemy – October 9;
- Saint Martin – 27 May.
- Website of the French administration (in French);
- Article about the Alsatian-Moselle Concordat (in French).
In this publication, we talked about the holidays in France 2022. We have provided a complete list of them according to the official website of the French administration. We hope the information was useful to you. Don’t forget to share the post with your friends!