In this article, School-Holidays.Info has compiled information about school holidays in Romania 2022. The Romanian school system may change, so some of the dates are approximate. This applies to the school year 2022-2023 in Romania (and beyond).
IMPORTANT: The article has been updated in accordance with Monitorul oficial al româniei, part I, no. 326/4.IV.2022. The Romanian School Holiday 2022 dates below are officially confirmed and secured by the Ministry of Education. In connection with the transition to a modular system, the schedule of the academic year for Romanian schoolchildren has changed.
School holidays in Romania 2022: exact dates
According to Ministerial Decree 5549/05.11.2021, the school holidays in Romania 2022 are only determined until the first day of the school year 2022-2023. As a rule, the schedule is determined several months in advance. The following dates for Romanian school holidays have been determined:
- Winter break for middle, high school: from December 24, 2021 to January 2, 2022;
- Winter break for elementary school: from December 24, 2021 to January 9, 2022;
- Spring break (Easter holidays): April 15 to May 1;
- Summer holidays: from June 11 to September 4;
- Autumn holidays: from 22 to 30 October;
- Winter break: December 22, 2022 to January 8, 2023.
Schooling in Romania is divided into three types: primary, secondary, and upper secondary (see table). Before 2022, their holiday schedules may have been different. From the school year 2022-2023, this may change.
|Primary||0-4||6-11 years old||Yes|
|Middle||5-8||11-15 years old||Yes|
|High||9-12||15-19 years old||No|
* Class 0 is the preparatory class (clasa pregătitoare) before the first class.
** High school is for those who intend to enter higher education.
School holidays in Romania for the 2nd half of 2022
Until the school year 2021-2022 (inclusive), there were three holidays in Romanian schools. They divided the school year into three school periods. These were:
- Summer holidays;
- Winter holidays;
- Spring (Easter) holidays.
The Romanian Minister of Education Sorin Cimpianu has proposed new rules. Thus, starting from the school year 2022-2023, pupils from elementary, middle, and high schools in Romania will have an additional holiday – the autumn holidays. They will last one week in mid- or late October.
There will also be no difference for pupils in primary, middle, and high schools regarding the dates of winter holidays. They will all rest for a fortnight, from 22.12.2022 to 8.01.2023. It is also planned to introduce a “green week” – a time when school classes will be held outdoors.
Holidays for schoolchildren in Romanian schools in 2022
In Romania, schoolchildren have holidays as well as public holidays. Here is their list for 2022:
- 1 January 2022, Saturday – New Year;
- 2 January 2022, Sunday – New Year’s Day;
- 24 January 2022, Monday – Unification Day of the Romanian principalities;
- 22 April 2022, Friday – Good Friday;
- 24 April 2022, Sunday – Easter;
- 25 April 2022, Monday – Easter;
- 1 May, Sunday, 2022 – Labour Day
- 1 June 2022, Wednesday – Children’s Day
- 30 November 2022, Wednesday – St. Andrew’s Day;
- 1 December 2022, Thursday – National Romanian Day;
- 25 December 2022, Sunday – Christmas Day;
- 26 December 2022, Monday – Christmas Day.
In this publication, we have tried to detail the school holidays in Romania 2022. Unfortunately, at the time of writing, the school year schedule for the second half of the year has not been precisely defined. We hope the information was useful to you. Don’t forget to share the publication with your friends!
- Education system in Romania;
- Information Portal on Education in Romania (in Romanian);
- Website of the Romanian Ministry of Education (in Romanian).