School-Holidays.Info has prepared a publication about school holidays in Japan 2022. We will tell you about their start and end dates, how they differ in different schools – regular, international, language. In the article you will find a calendar for the 2022 school year in Japan and a list of holidays on which Japanese students have days off.
School holidays in Japan 2022
According to local traditions, spring is the best time for new beginnings. Therefore, the school year in Japanese schools begins in April. Although in recent years, some private schools are switching to a different system of education, when the academic year begins in late August or early September and ends at the end of June.
Here are the school holidays in Japan in 2022 in chronological order:
- Winter holidays: from December 25, 2021 to January 6, 2022;
- End of academic year: March 24, 2022;
- Spring break: March 25 to April 6, 2022;
- Summer holidays: from July 22 to August 29;
- First day of school: August 30;
- Winter holidays: from December 26, 2022 to January 6, 2023 (actually from 12/24/2022 to 01/08/2023, including days off for the weekend).
Holidays at International Schools in Japan
Unlike ordinary schools, international schools often work according to a different schedule. The academic year begins in August and ends in June. For example, at Yokohama International School 2022-2023 the academic year runs from August 1 to June 30, and at Nagoya International School from August 17 to June 20.
Each institution chooses the schedule of training independently. Vacation start and end dates, weekends and holidays are published on the official website of the international school. You can find his address in the full list of international educational institutions in Japan.
Holidays in Japanese language schools
Language schools in Japan do not adhere to the general schedule of study holidays. They are determined by the administration. The academic year is divided into two semesters, in the middle of each of them there is a semester break, in addition to the main holidays. Education begins in April, as in a regular school.
The duration of the vacation is usually from 2 to 4 weeks. Semester breaks are rarely longer than 2 weeks. School holidays and semester breaks in language schools in Japan are set at the following times:
- March – April (spring);
- June – July (summer);
- September – October (autumn);
- December – January (winter).
Holiday calendar in Japanese schools for 2022
Weekends for Japanese schoolchildren for the holidays in 2022
Schools in Japan are closed not only for the holidays, but also for some holidays. There are 9 holidays when schoolchildren have no classes. But some educational institutions (mostly private and international) can make other significant dates a day off.
Major national holidays in Japan:
- January 10 – Coming of Age Day;
- February 11 – Day of foundation of the state;
- March 20 – The beginning of spring (Day of the vernal equinox);
- May 3 – Memorial Day of the Constitution;
- September 19 – Day of Respect for the Elderly;
- September 23 – The beginning of autumn (Day of the autumnal equinox);
- October 10 – Health and Sports Day;
- November 3 – Day of Culture;
- November 23 – Thanksgiving workers’ day.
- Education system in Japan.
- List of international schools in Japan.
- Official website of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan.
In this article, we talked about school holidays in Japan 2022 in different types of schools. They brought a vacation calendar, published a list of holidays. If the post was helpful to you, please share it with your friends!