In this publication, School-Holidays.Info provides you with accurate information about school holidays in Greece for 2022/2023. From the article, you will learn the most precise dates of their beginning and end. At the end of the publication, you will find additional days off for holidays for Greek students in the 2022/2023 academic year.
Features of the Academic Year in Greece
The school academic year in Greek schools consists of three terms. They are separated by holidays – Christmas and Easter. Academic years are separated from each other by summer holidays. Unlike most European countries, there are no autumn, winter, or spring breaks in Greece.
In Greece, there are private and state schools. They are controlled by regional directorates of primary and secondary education. However, schools have a certain degree of freedom. Because of this, there are no specific and exact dates for the start and end of school holidays in the country. If you see certain dates for school holidays in Greece for 2022/2023, it is a fraud.
School holidays in Greece 2022/2023
It is impossible to say exactly when the summer, Christmas, or Easter school holidays start and end in Greece for 2022/2023. However, there are certain “allowances.” We list them below:
- End of the 2022 summer holidays: August 31 – September 9;
- Start of the Christmas holidays: December 22-26;
- End of the Christmas holidays: January 6 (in rare cases, it may be later);
- Start of the Easter holidays: April 3-10;
- End of the Easter holidays: April 16-23;
- Start of summer holidays 2023: June 15 – July 1.
IMPORTANT! In some cases, schools may change their schedules due to force majeure circumstances. Check the dates of school holidays at the educational institution that interests you or on their website!
The above dates are not a fabrication. We analyzed more than 20 schools of different types – primary and secondary, private and state, regular and international (language schools). Based on the analysis, we formed our own opinion.
All schools have an additional day off, which is approved by the school administration. It is the day of the local patron saint. If you are interested in this topic, the link to the list of all patron saints and cities will be at the end of the article.
In addition to regular holidays, Greek students have days off for some state and religious holidays. Below are the dates of holidays when schools in Greece will be closed in the 2022/2023 academic year.
Holidays in Greek schools in 2022
- August 15 – Assumption of the Virgin Mary;
- October 28 – Ohi Day (Day of “No”);
- December 25 – Christmas;
- December 26 – Synaxis of the Theotokos.
Holidays in Greek schools in 2023:
- January 1 – New Year;
- January 6 – Epiphany;
- February 20, 2023 – Clean Monday;
- March 25 – Independence Day;
- April 14, 2023 – Good Friday;
- April 16, 2023 – Easter;
- April 17, 2023 – Easter Monday;
- May 1 – Labor Day;
- June 5, 2023 – Whit Monday (Pentecost).
- List of cities and patron saints (in Greek);
- Official website of the Ministry of Education and Religion;
- Education system in Greece.
In this article, we have covered school holidays in Greece for 2022/2023. We hope that we have provided answers to your questions. Please note that you should always verify the exact dates with your school. Don’t forget to share this publication with your friends!