In this article, School-Holidays.Info will tell you about public and unofficial holidays in Slovakia in 2023. We’ll also provide a list of Memorial Days. Descriptions are attached to the most interesting ones. All dates are listed in chronological order for convenience.
Public holidays in Slovakia 2023
Below are all public holidays in Slovakia 2023, they are arranged by month in chronological order. Every public holiday is a day off for Slovaks.
- 01.01.2023 Day of the formation of the Slovak Republic;
- 01.06.2023 Epiphany (Three Kings).
- 07.04.2023 Good Friday;
- 10.04.2023 Easter Monday.
- 01.05.2023 Labor Day;
- 08.05.2023 Victory Day.
05.07.2023 Feast of Saints Cyril and Methodius.
29.08.2023 Anniversary of the Slovak National Uprising.
- 01.09.2023 Constitution Day of the Slovak Republic;
- 15.09.2023 Sorrowful Mother of God.
- 01.11.2023 All Saints’ Day – a day of rest;
- 17.11.2023 Day of struggle for freedom and democracy.
- 24.12.2023 Christmas – a day of rest;
- 25.12.2023 First Christmas holiday;
- 26.12.2023 Second Christmas holiday.
Unofficial holidays in Slovakia in 2023
The holidays listed below are not public holidays. Therefore, there are no days off on these dates. But Slovaks traditionally celebrate them.
- 14.02.2023 Valentine’s Day;
- 14.05.2023 Mother’s Day;
- 18.06.2023 Father’s Day;
- 31.12.2023 New Year’s Eve.
Memorial Days in Slovakia 2023
Days of memory, or memorial days – dates dedicated to significant events. They are not holidays. On memorial days, events such as processions, flower laying, etc. are held.
13.04.2023 Day of the Unjustly Convicted.
- 01.05.2023 Day of accession of the Slovak Republic to the European Union;
- 04.05.2023 Anniversary of the death of M.R.Stefanik*.
*Milan Rastislav Štefánik – Slovak politician, general of the French army and astronomer. One of the greatest figures in modern Slovak history. The anniversary of his death is well deserved. It is difficult to enumerate all his merits and achievements.
- 05.07.2023 Day of Slovaks Abroad;
- 17.07.2023 Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence of the Slovak Nation.
- 04.08.2023 Day of the Slovak Matica*;
- 10.08.2023 Day of victims of mountain accidents.
* Slovak Matica (Matica Slovenská) is the first Slovak educational institution in which local history was systematically cultivated, museology and archival work were created. It was founded in the city of Martin on August 4, 1863.
- 09.09.2023 Day of the victims of the Holocaust and racial violence;
- 19.09.2023 Day of the creation of the Slovak National Council.
- 06.10.2023 Dukla Martyrs’ Day*;
- 27.10.2023 Day of the Chernivtsi tragedy;
- 28.10.2023 Day of formation of the independent Czecho-Slovak state;
- 29.10.2023 Birthday of Ľudovít Štúr**;
- 30.10.2023 Anniversary of the Declaration of the Slovak people;
- 31.10.2023 Reformation Day.
* The battle for the Dukla Pass, located near the city of Dukla, were fought from September 8 to October 28, 1944. During this time, Czechoslovakia lost 10,060 killed, 41,387 wounded, 1,806 missing.
**Ľudovít Štúr is the main representative of the Slovak national movement and Slavic concepts of the first half of the 19th century. He was the codifier of the literary Slovak language, the founder of the Slovak national newspaper, co-founder of the Slovak National Council in Vienna.
In this publication, we talked about the days of memory, unofficial and public holidays in Slovakia 2023. We hope that the information was useful and interesting to you. Don’t forget to share the post with your friends!