In this publication, School-Holidays.Info will provide information about school holidays in Ireland 2022-2023. We’ll talk about the complex system of organizing the school year. You will learn how holidays differ between primary and secondary school. We’ll also give them the most accurate dates. At the end of the article, the public holidays of 2022-2023 are listed, on which Irish schoolchildren have a day off.
Beginning and end of the school year in Ireland
In Irish schools, the beginning and end of the school year are determined by the administration. The main rules are defined by the circular on standardization of the school year in relation to primary and secondary schools for 2020/21, 2021/22 and 2022/23.
The school year begins on the week of September 1st. In 2022, this is the period from August 26 to September 2. But schools can deviate from the schedule by one week. That is, the first school day will be between August 19 and September 9.
In primary schools, the school year is at least 182 days. In the secondary, at least 167 school days. The number of free days from school depends on the decision made by the school administration. The start date for summer holidays can vary greatly.
Summer holidays in primary schools begin between the end of May and the end of June. Summer holidays in secondary schools will begin from mid-May to mid-June.
School holidays in Ireland 2022-2023 during the school year
- October mid-semester break (autumn holidays) 2022: from October 31 to November 4 inclusive;
- Christmas holidays: from December 22, 2022 to January 4, 2023 inclusive;
- February break (spring holidays) in primary schools: February 16-17 or February 13-17 at the discretion of the school administration;
- February break (spring holidays) in secondary schools: February 13-15 or February 13-17 at the discretion of the school administration.
- Easter holidays: April 1-4 or April 1-16 inclusive, at the discretion of the school administration.
Schools can determine holiday dates throughout the school year. If your school has determined in advance when the holidays will begin, it will be able to change the dates. This may change the end date of the school year.
Other holidays for Irish schoolchildren
Schools in Ireland are closed on bank holidays except for school holidays. As in the UK, these days are all public holidays and special days when banks are closed.
Days during the year when there are no classes in Irish schools:
- October 31, 2022 – October bank holiday;
- December 25, 2022 – Christmas;
- December 26, 2022 – Saint Stephen’s Day;
- January 1, 2023 – New Year;
- February 6, 2023 – Imbolc (Saint Brigid’s Day);
- March 17, 2023 – Saint Patrick’s Day;
- April 10, 2023 – Easter Monday;
- May 1, 2023 – May holiday;
- June 5 – June bank holiday.
In this publication, we talked about school holidays in Ireland 2022-2023. You learned about their complex system, possible vacation dates and public holidays when Irish schoolchildren rest. We hope the article was useful to you. Don’t forget to share the post with your friends!